Monday, January 12, 2009

The Shack by William Young Adult Fiction


THE SHACK is a little book with a big message: “God comes to us in any and all ways in which HE decides we can best perceive Him.” At least that is how I was affected by this work of fiction by William Paul Young. Not since the Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis have I been so excited by an author’s work that drew and continues to draw me to the living, loving and active-in-my-life Creator. Young’s character, Mac Phillips, has a Great Loss in his life and struggling with it has caused him to suffer grief that makes his life and relationships with family, friends and especially with God less than what he knows those relationships should be. This is where God steps in, surprising Mac and surprising each reader in life changing ways. It is an entertaining and inspiring story that has made THE SHACK a best seller and the topic of some my most interesting conversations. A story for any audience.

5 comments:

  1. What do you say to critics who object to the way our trinity are personalized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of book that you finish but continue to think about. It would be a wonderful book for a discussion group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had several people say they objected to the portrayal of the 3 persons of the Trinity in The Shack. I just say, well, it is a work of fiction. I take it as one person's way of relating to Him. I found the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in Young's book a mind-opening way to engage God in conversation and relationship. Since God is all those "omni-words", He can manifest himself anyway that makes his Holy Self personal to us. And He knows how to best address us and what to "wear" to a meeting with us. Judy Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Judy. You make me want to read the book again. It's funny how you can reread something after hearing a new interpretation and get a whole new perspective. I will stop trying to find fault with the Father's portrayal and see if I, too, am opened up to new avenues of communication.

    ReplyDelete